Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Look Who Walked Through the Door - Lumbar Fusion Exercises

I never know what is going to walk through the door.

Since I am the exercise and injury guy, I get it all.

A few days ago, I had a back fusion client come in.

I kind of chuckled when I say him as I just finished up doing a bunch of research for tomorrow's Lower Back Spinal Fusion and Exercise webinar.

==> Lumbar Fusion Exercises

Since it was our first session, he was a bit leery of what exercises to do.

Since I just put together a workout for tomorrows webinar, I had one ready for him.

Before I wrap up this email, I just wanted to share with you a tip when working with a lumbar spinal fusion client.

Don’t do the lower back extension machine.

Your client does not need the strength to do this movement.

What I do is work on the isometric activation and endurance of the lower back muscles. I do this with upper body exercise machines.

For example, I will get him to do the seat row machine. I will modify the technique by adding a step to the exercise. Prior to performing the rowing movement, I will get him to lift some or all of his weight off the chest pad. He holds this position and then does his set of rowing exercises.

Lifting the chest partially or fully, activates the lower back muscles. Holding this position works on the lower back muscle in an isometric contraction and since there is no change in the joint angle of the lumbar spine, it is a safe exercise for a client recovering from a lumbar spinal fusion.

I will chat about what I do for the weight for this exercise, tomorrow.

I hope this helps.

We will see some of you on tomorrows Lower Back Spinal Fusion and Exercise webinar.

==> Spinal Fusion Exercises

Take care and have a great day.

Rick Kaselj, MS

P.S. – Make sure to take a look at some of the upcoming webinars on plantar fasciitis and core stability of the hip.

Plantar Fasciitis and Exercise
==> Plantar Fasciitis Exercises

Core Stability of the Hip
==> Glut Medius Exercises

--------------------------------------------------
Rick Kaselj – rkaselj@HealingThroughMovement.com
Registered Kinesiologist Specializing in Injury Rehabilitation
Surrey, BC, Canada
Get your “5 Myths about Core Training” Special Report – www.CoreStabilityoftheBack.com
-------------------------------------------------------

No comments: